An exhibition of vintage letters and personal belongings of celebrities like Marilyn Monroe and John Lennon was held in December 2012 in New York City, USA. This exhibition was organised to promote an auction called the ‘The Property of a Distinguished American Private Collector Part I’, scheduled to be held on December 18th in California. It also showcased letters by other famous people ranging from Beethoven, to Vincent Van Gogh and George Washington.
Vintage letter written by John Adams, former President of the USA.
While this antique vintage exhibition was originally scheduled to be held at Fraunces Tavern, it was shifted to the offices of Douglas Elliman (a real estate company) in Madison Avenue. Some of the vintage celebrity letters and possessions displayed at this exhibition are:
- A touching personal letter to Marilyn Monroe from her husband Joe DiMaggio (baseball player), about a quarrel they had had early on in their relationship.
- A letter from renowned artist Vincent Van Gogh to one of his muses, Madame Ginoux, when she was seriously ill. This letter was one of Van Gogh’s last letters, written just seven months before he committed suicide.
- A letter from John Lennon to Eric Clapton.
- Notes written by Beethoven.
- Letters by George Washington.
- Thomas Edison’s belongings.
- Emily Dickinson’s (American poet) belongings.
The Property of a Distinguished American Private Collector Exhibition and Auction
From: Douglas Elliman