Take a look at this crazy looking building. It’s hard to believe that this building: ‘The Opus Hong Kong building’ is the most expensive address in Asia, with a single apartment getting sold for a whopping $61 million dollars.
In fact, one of the reasons for the high prices of apartments at the Opus Hong Kong building could be the fact that the building was designed by world-famous architect Frank Gehry. Now 83-years old, Frank Gehry entered the Asian buildings market much later than his contemporaries, but his entry has certainly ended up becoming quite memorable. In the past, Frank Gehry had designed many unique sculptural elements and skyline-changing shapes of buildings in Europe and America.
In August 2012, one of the apartments in the Opus Hong Kong building, designed by Frank Gehry, was sold for an almost unaffordable $61 million dollars. This made this condominium the most expensive apartment in Hong Kong, a city known for its high apartment prices. The sold apartment measures 6,200 square feet, which makes the price of $61 million dollars the highest per-square-foot price, ever paid for in Asia. This price could also be the second highest apartment price in the world, after the famous ‘One Hyde Park’ apartment in London.
The $61 million dollar apartment in the Opus Hong Kong building is situated on the entire eighth floor of the 12-storey building. This building is located in the affluent Peak neighbourhood area of the city, and was constructed by Hong Kong based real estate developer Swire Properties Ltd, together with architect Frank Gehry. The construction of the Opus building in Hong Kong was completed in March 2012. The building has a glass façade, which curves like waves, and offers people on each floor a view of the surrounding green environment.
- Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles.
- The Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao.
- A gleaming 76-storey art sculpture in downtown Manhattan.
- The fame of the architect, and his portfolio of previous creations.
- Its location in the affluent Peak residential area.
- The largeness of each apartment unit. Each floor apartment unit measures about 6,000 to 9,000 square feet.
- The fact that Swire (the real estate developer) intended to rent the apartments, rather than sell them.
Would you consider buying an apartment here (if you had the money)? What do you think of the building design?
- Alex Rodriguez's Miami Beach Home
- John Lennon's Hollywood Hills Home in California
- Heath Hall Mansion in Hampstead, London
- Aby Rosen's Manhattan Townhouse
- Gianni Versace’s Casa Casuarina in Miami
- Castillo Caribe Mansion - Cayman Islands
- Other Luxurious Homes and Properties